Monday 14 January 2013

Fairy-tale Features



Today I wanted to share with you all some of my favourite fairy tale jewellery currently listed on Etsy.com

I love all five of these pieces and I hope you do too! I love looking at other peoples work whether it is jewellery or art or beauty products to find new ways of thinking about things. It’s always refreshing to see other people’s interpretations because it may give you new ideas, or at the very least new ways of thinking about things you want to do. This is especially useful when you have creative block and can’t seem to think of any ideas. Of course, do not lift or copy ideas from other people-that is not acceptable. But you can use other people’s ideas and interpretations as a spring board to bounce your own ideas off.

Because my ideas centre on fairy tales, I thought it would be nice to explore this theme in the first features page on here.

The first piece is a bracelet by a very talented jewellery maker called Laughing Vixen Lounge. It’s a really good piece to look at as an “inspired by” item. It’s very obviously a piece inspired by the Snow White story.


                                                              Laughing Vixen Lounge

You can see the classic mirror as a charm on the bracelet, as well as the apple, the dwarf, the witch, the prince and the princess charms which all feature in the story. The bead colours enhance the bracelet as well because the red stands out amongst them, mimicking the red of the tempting shiny apple that snow white bites into to her doom.

Although a relatively simple piece, it is a very nice piece that shows where the inspiration has come from very nicely. It is a lovely dainty bracelet full of the wonders of Snow White.


This next piece is by a unique jewellery maker called petiteVanilla. It’s a gorgeous hand crafted resin pendant with the fantastic picture of Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf on it. I love the simplicity of the design and the lovely bright colours that lift the image from the resin.

                                                                   petiteVanilla shop

I love this piece because it is playful. The image has such wonderful colours and the figures are very stylised. It feels like the pendant is almost like a link back to childhood where those fairy tales were often told in their lighter and much more playful forms.

Again, this is a relatively simple piece but utterly sweet, incorporating something old from the brass chain look and the very new look of the picture in the pendant.


This next piece is a by a very experienced Etsy seller called Nixxi Rose. It is a gorgeous piece inspired by The Frog Prince story. Now, I only know two versions of this story; the short, she got talking to a frog in the Castle pond, and kissed it versions and the longer Disney version. Whichever one you know, this piece certainly feels like it sprung from the swamps for me.

                                                                   NixxiRose Shop


With gorgeous dragonfly and frog charms along with the beautiful green, brass and pink colourings, it seems to encapsulate the whole feel of a swamp. But with such beauty that you’d think only a princess could wear it! It is delicate and a great homage to the tale.

This piece inspired me because I had completely forgotten about that story! Bringing it to life in this wonderful bracelet reminded me that every story can inspire you to create anything.


This next piece is one of the cutest items I have ever seen. I really love it – again because I had not even thought of that tale, and it completely inspired me because of it. This is a necklace by Zala and its main focus is a shoe made of polymer clay.


                                                                      UraniaArt Shop

As you can see, this little shoe seems to be inspired by the English nursery rhyme called “There was an old woman who lived in a shoe”.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do;
She gave them some broth without any bread;
Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

(Variations of this rhyme are available!) My main medium is polymer clay so when I saw this I thought it was fantastic! And the idea that you can be inspired to make such luscious jewellery out of a nursery rhyme completely opened my ideas to more media that I can be inspired by for my own work.


Finally, this piece is by a jeweller who we have met before: Laughing Vixen Lounge. Anyone who knows me personally will know that I absolutely love mermaids, especially the tale about The Little Mermaid. Therefore, I simply HAD to include a mermaid themed piece of jewellery.

                                                                Laughing Vixen Lounge

This is exquisite and a completely different idea to the first bracelet I showed you that was made by the same artist. Firstly, it has some wonderful vintage looking photo charms with gorgeous pictures. The blue beads compliment the bracelet by looking almost like bubbles in the sea. I love the green beads and the ones with bobbles on that give this bracelet a wonderful texture and lovely full feeling. Finally, to finish the bracelet there are some lovely silver charms of things that you would expect to find in the sea.

The whole piece has this wonderful magical quality to it and it is a lovely tribute to the theme of mermaids.

-----------------------------------------------------

I hope you have enjoyed this week’s features. Hopefully it has inspired you to keep creating! I know it has me! Thank you to all the artists who allowed me to post their items on here and write about them, they are all exquisite pieces!

Don't forget to visit my shop and like my facebook page to stay up to date with latest news!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post. Thanks for including my bracelets. I'm glad they can inspire 8)

    ReplyDelete